Why Ireland?

"Why Ireland?" was originally written for my newsletters in order to explain to my supporters how God placed the burden for this country on my heart. Upon request, I've re-posted it online here. Enjoy!
A photo from my trip to the Cliffs of Moher

I bet you’re asking “why Ireland?” Well, let me tell you. My senior year at college I fully intended to do my practicum in Romania working with orphans. I’ve always dreamed of working in an orphanage in Romania, & this seemed like the perfect time to put it into action. God had other plans. After much failed communication & plans ultimately falling through, I was left without a practicum that I had been planning on for months. I needed this practicum to graduate on time, so, in a desperate attempt to find something, I made my way into the BCM offices in Lancaster. Much to my surprise, BCM had me matched up with a practicum & ready to go within 2 hours of walking into the building. Ireland was my only option. I hated the thought of spending my summer in Ireland. It didn’t match up with my plan. Ireland was predominantly English-speaking & super tourist-y. I didn’t understand why God would send me there. Wasn’t He supposed to be showing me the plan for my life? Where was He when I needed Him, when I needed answers? Upon setting foot on Irish soil, I had my answer.  I felt at home, like I belonged in this place. At the end of my practicum, I didn’t want to leave. I actually dreaded it. I could feel God working in that way He always seems to, silently twisting my heart. I knew that this was bigger than me. God had plans for His Kingdom in this country, & He was calling me to be a part of it…

Since I was nine years old, Ireland has held a special place in my heart. One day, I took up the harp for no apparent reason. Even I can’t tell you what drew me to it. I began to cultivate a love of Irish music, language, folklore. I insisted I was Irish to my parents (it turns out that we do have an Irish heritage). I was always fascinated by the culture, the people, the history…but going to Ireland for missions never crossed my mind. Sure, Saint Patrick was my missionary role model, but I didn’t literally want to follow in his footsteps. I wanted to go to an unreached Islamic people group off the coast of Australia. I was going to make a difference in the lives of unreached Muslim peoples.  I was going to...Oh, yeah. That was the problem. I was. When did I stop living for God & start focusing on myself? I hadn’t been listening. I’d been pretending to listen to God’s will for my life, but the whole time it had been my plan that took center stage. In the last two weeks of my practicum in Ireland, I’d begun to listen. My heart for this country, these people, was broken. A country where only 25% of its 82% Catholic population attends Mass regularly. God hasn’t given up on His people, what right do I have to? Lest you think I made my decision & hopped on board the boat to Ireland right away, you should know about the process involved that took me a full year…


Upon returning to the States, I discussed what I felt God was showing me with my then academic advisor, Dr. Ed Scheuerman. I talked with my family, my college roommates, my best friend. I prayed. They prayed. I made lists of pros & cons. I brought my Pastor & his wife into my decision. For months it tormented me, remaining constantly on my mind. Finally, after avoiding it (because more than anything that’s what I was doing, avoiding) for five months, I began the application process with BCM. If you have ever filled out a missionary application, you know how in depth & time consuming they can be. If you haven’t, I’d be more than willing to share with you my own. There are pages upon pages to fill out, tests to take, & email follow-ups to be written. In February, three months after beginning the application process, I was given an invitation to Candidate Orientation in June of this past year. June. That brought me around to a full year from when God first began to turn my heart to Ireland. It was a year of changes & flexibility. A year that I never expected to happen but am glad did. God will continue to work in remarkable ways in my life. I don’t know what is in store for the next three years, of my life, but I invite you to join me in discovering it…together. 

Comments

Popular Posts