Finding the Courage in Discouragement

If there is one thing I've taken from my high school career that has prepared me for life as a missionary, it can be found on a little slip of paper inside a chem flask that has been spray-painted gold.

"When You Feel Like Giving Up, DON'T. Nothing worth having was ever arrived at easily. Push on, do whatever you have to to succeed, but do not give up. It is your future which is at stake."

It was the end of my senior year when I was given that flask, and I didn't realize then the impact those words would have on me. "Don't open it up until you're having a really difficult day," my teacher had told us. About half way through my first semester in college, I popped the top of it and fished out the little slip of paper. Little did I know, those words would hold true long after I had walked across that stage in my college cap and gown.

That "really difficult day" turned into many difficult days that have followed me even after college. It's on days like these, days when I begin to wonder why God would even call me to missions, when I see only the struggle and what I feel is inevitable failure. Then those words, the words of good ol' Mr. Huber, come floating back, "Nothing worth having was ever arrived at easily. Push on.." It is when I remember these words that I stop, pray, pick up my Bible, and allow God to remind me of what the fight is worth. That is exactly what raising support is at times, a fight. It's a fight against a society that largely puts the value of the dollar above all else. It's a fight against people who do not understand why I'm doing this. It's a fight against the enemy who wants only to destroy me, the "roaring lion" who is "seeking to devour" me. It's a fight in which I struggle more than I would like.

Too often I hear the same things repeated over and over again. "We support too many missionaries already." "Sorry, we're not inviting people to present missions anymore." "Our church is focusing on a specific part of the world." "We only support our own mission teams that we send every summer."  Hearing these things are sobering for a new missionary anxious to get to the field, but that isn't necessarily bad in itself. The problem comes when discouragement begins to creep in and change the positive mindset of support raising. The enemy seizes the opportunity and begins to whisper lies.

 It's subtle at first. Then the missionary begins to question things that they would previously turn to God about. Soon enough, the lies get bigger, and the missionary may even start to read too deeply into things. "I'm sorry, but we can't afford to take any new missionaries on right now" is heard as"Why bother even trying? No church is going to take you on." If the lies are allowed to take over, the fight has been lost. However, God has given us an excellent weapon against the enemy in His Word. It is at times like these, when I feel as if discouragement starts to win, that I cling to Psalm 31:21: "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord." When I discover the courage in discouragement, I can begin to take back the fight. It's a fight that I'm determined to win. It's not easy, nothing ever is.  I'm not discouraged right now, but I know how easily it is to become so, and I know it's something I will face throughout life. The struggle will continue, but God gives me the strength to fight on.

 Afterall, "Nothing worth having was ever arrived at easily. Push on.."


Image result for Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord

Comments

  1. Hang in there, girl! You know God has called you, and you know HE WILL provide, no matter how bleak it may seem! It will come when you least expect it! Thanks for being open about your struggles! I will certain be praying that He will give exactly what you need! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts